"One day, the Eternal One called out to Abram.
Eternal One: Abram, get up and go! Leave your country. Leave your relatives and your father’s home, and travel to the land I will show you. Don’t worry—I will guide you there. I have plans to make a great people from your descendants. And I am going to put a special blessing on you and cause your reputation to grow so that you will become a blessing and example to others. I will also bless those who bless you and further you in your journey, and I’ll trip up those who try to trip you along the way. Through your descendants, all of the families of the earth will find their blessing in you." -Genesis 12:1-3 VOICE
Leaving everything familiar is hard. Really hard.
At first it might seem like an adventure - heading out into the unknown, not having any idea of what awaits you around the next bend...and that's all very true, but oftentimes adventure is really just code for serious stretching.
I have so many moments in this new life that if I'm really honest, are really lonely. God has been incredibly gracious to connect me with a lot of people, to give me a greater purpose than myself, to stir my heart for others, but in the moments where it's just me...it's hard. I left a place where I had incredible friendships, amazing mentors, a great church, a beautiful home and no need for GPS to constantly figure out where I was :). I know without a doubt that this is where God has called me, but I'd be lying if I sat here and said that there weren't moments I'd like to just go back.
But then I think about Abraham and God calling him to leave his country at the age of 75! Can you imagine the life that he had built and all that he was giving up? Can you imagine the uncertainty of leaving everything that was familiar - maybe the only life he'd ever known for 75 years - and going to a new land to begin again? I'm sure if I could have a peek into his journals that it wasn't all easy, confidence, joy, and certainty. I have a feeling that Abraham and I could sit down over coffee today and that he would share his story and remind me that there are moments that are really difficult, but when God calls you to something, every hardship is worth walking through for the greater purpose and promise He has in store.
"Without any hesitation, Abram went." -Genesis 12:4
I think I've often read that verse and thought "no hesitation = easy", but I'm realizing that you can be fully confident in the Lord, walk forward without hesitation, and still feel the weight of what you just walked through. I didn't hesitate to say goodbye to the life I once knew when God called me here, but that doesn't change the sadness I feel when I miss deep friendships that have taken years to build. But even in those moments, I trust that God has gone before me, he's prepared this new life ahead of me and that he knows exactly what I need, when I need it, and that this new life will continue to unfold one step at a time as he takes me from comfortable into uncomfortable to stretch, challenge and strengthen me - and continue to show me just how extravagantly he loves me.
"For some of us, we'll forfeit the great promises of God because we are too busy being comfortable."
So today, yeah...it might be hard. It might be really lonely and it might be really unclear what lies ahead, but I'd rather be uncomfortable and know confidently I'm right where God wants me. I'd rather be unclear and place all my confidence in Him. I'd rather feel the hurt but rest in the peace that "the deepest pains may linger through the night, but joy greets the soul with the smile of morning." -Psalm 30:5 VOICE
I'd rather be stretched than be comfortable.


No comments:
Post a Comment