12.10.2014

Risk

I've been having this conversation both internally and with other people lately and it's a question I haven't fully gathered into an answer, but one that has rocked my world nonetheless.

In the Christian walk, are there really any risks? I mean, if you are truly seeking the Lord, then isn't every "risk" really just a leap of faith?

I think about when the priest were carrying the ark of the covenant and had to cross the Jordan river. In Joshua 3:15 it says:

"During harvest time the Jordan is swollen, running over its banks; but when the priests stepped into the river’s edge, the waters stopped, piling upstream at the city of Adam, near Zarethan, while the water flowing downstream toward the sea of the Arabah, the Dead Sea, ran out. Then the Israelites crossed the Jordan opposite the city of Jericho, walking on dry land just as Moses had led their ancestors from Egypt. While the Israelites crossed on the dry riverbed, the priests who carried the covenant chest stood firmly in the middle of the Jordan until the last Israelite had crossed over."

Again I can't help but wonder what they thought when they came up to the water's edge as in my mind I picture the Jordan river brimming with whitewater rapids! Here they are carrying something so sacred and knowing that this is the way they are to go, but you gotta wonder if they stood there thinking, "Well, this is risky - we could certainly drown."

But they took that first step. They didn't stand at the edge, waiting for the Lord to part the water.  

He waited on them to move.

When they put forth that first step of faith into the river, the waters parted and they crossed on dry land. What may have appeared to be a risk, was really no risk at all because God had a plan and as they were faithful to follow where he was leading them, he was faithful to prepare the way.

So it just comes back to this question. What areas in your life is the Lord asking you to take a step of faith but in your humanness it feels risky? I wonder how many of us are standing on the edge of the water, looking at the rapids in front of us paralyzed with fear? How would it change your next step if you knew that God has prepared the way and that no matter what decision you make, as long as you are seeking him, you're exactly where he wants you?

Maybe he's just waiting on you to take that first step.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...