5.05.2011

The things God teaches me while I'm brushing my teeth.


Tonight I was brushing my teeth and noticed that one of the bulbs above my vanity had burned out.  I actually think it happened several weeks ago, but frankly I've just been too lazy to take the time to change it.  I was standing there, brushing away, thinking about how the brightness of the bathroom really didn't seem that different to me without that one light bulb...but then again, maybe I'd just adjusted to it.  As soon as that thought entered my mind...it's like the Holy Spirit took it and moved it right to my heart.

Is that how I am in my relationship with God?

When I'm living my life passionately for Him, his light burns brightly within me and shines outside of me...but sometimes along the way I get complacent.  Before I know it, the light has gotten dimmer, but because I've adjusted to it, I don't even notice the change.  One by one the bulbs burn out and I continue to re-adjust until it's so dark it's difficult to see.  Even in those moments, I'm reminded that light bulbs glowing or not - the switch is still on, the power source is still providing what is necessary to create light.  What's amazing is the fact that even though I've adjusted to the room void of even just that one light bulb, as soon as I remove the old bulb and replace it with a new one, I'm in awe of how much of a difference it really makes.  I stand back and think - wow, was it really this bright before? Why did I wait so long to make the change?

The things God teaches me while brushing my teeth... :)

1 comment:

HopefulLeigh said...

Just have to say I cracked up when I saw your blog pop up in my Reader after you talked about how you "never" blog anymore. So proud of you:) (Also, great insight here!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...