5.31.2011

Dive.

"What if you were given the freedom (the permission) and the power (all the resources necessary) to do exactly what you were always meant to do?" -John Eldredge, The Journey of Desire

Think on that for a second and then ask yourself, "If the fear of failure held no weight whatsoever, what dreams would you pursue?"

I was reading through a few chapters of The Journey of Desire - a book that remains on my bedside table and brings something new to light every time I read it.  When I read the quote (above), I had to stop for a second and process it.  I began to wonder if I'm really pursuing the dreams God has placed within my heart or if I'm walking in fear and just dipping my feet into the water...afraid of the temperature, the depth, the things that I cannot see and not knowing the current or where it might take me.  But when you aren't pursuing the dreams that God has placed within your heart, you begin to wither, your soul becomes thirsty for something greater, something "God-sized" that only he can provide and the only way to truly be refreshed is to just dive in and fully submerge yourself, trusting that wherever the current might take you...it's flowing from one Source.

Before anyone misunderstands what I'm saying, let me clarify that I am beyond grateful and privileged that my job allows me to do something that I truly love to do.  I know that where I am is SO much a part of God's plan for my life, but I know there's still more to pursue, more to dive into, more to learn...and I don't want to get complacent or let fear keep me from going deeper.  I think about the state of our world and the uncertainties that are more magnified than ever before when it comes to jobs and finances.  I feel like I've had more conversations than I can count...talking with so many people about their job dissatisfaction, lack of passion, fear of financial ruin and more.  I get that...I do...because when it comes down to it I'm a "realist" and have a hard time seeing things beyond the hard, cold facts, but if God has continually reminded me one thing this year, it's that "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are (His) ways higher than (my) ways and (His) thoughts than (my) thoughts." He is so much bigger than a recession, so much bigger than what the world says we're capable of, so much bigger than any fear that holds each one of us back.

So if I can leave you with just a few thoughts...this is what I want you to take away.  First, thank the Lord for every good thing in your life...because I bet in the midst of your frustrations, you're forgetting a lot of incredible blessings.  Second, don't settle for "you"-sized dreams...ask God to show you the dreams He has for you.  Finally, dive in.  Submerge yourself in Him.  Allow Him to lead and guide you and trust that no matter how uncertain things might seem, if you are seeking and following Him, you're following the right current and it will not lead you astray.

He's given you the permission and the resources to follow your dreams. Dive in.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...