I have this friend who seriously is such a good friend that I, in comparison, completely suck. This girl not only remembers my birthday (hasn't forgotten once, every year since college), but she sends me a gift in the mail every year, as well as a valentine's card, Christmas card, and I'm pretty sure she even sent a ground hog's day card once. I've received such fun stuff from her...colorful scarves, a book thong, a monogrammed apron and so much more...but I think this year's gift takes the cake. First of all, I opened her card and read this on the cover...
I mean, if I could have one saying tattooed on my hiney, this would definitely be it.If that wasn't already perfect, I opened the card and read what my sweet friend wrote...and was so humbled and flattered by her words.
And then I opened the gift. It was in this rough, rustic hemp sack tied with a robin egg blue grosgrain ribbon. The sack simply said "The Paper Rose". I untied the ribbon and poured out the contents of the bag...a tiny square pendant made from wood. Not just any wood, the letter "S" from the scrabble board. On the front of the pendant is the word "strength" and a portion of the definition beside it. I love it. I love it not only because it's unique and beautiful, but because never in a million years would I use that word to describe me, but to think that my amazing friend Beth would choose it....makes me want to own that word in every way I live my life.
After opening Beth's gift, I proceeded to open the next package that had arrived from my Aunt Marsha. I was ecstatic when I pulled out 2 Iowa Hawkeye license plates! In TN you don't have to have a license plate on the front of the car, so if you really want - you can put something more personal there. Normally I wouldn't even mess with it, but the Prius has a very prominent front license plate holder that really needs something to fill it up. I have no idea how she knew I was thinking a Hawkeyes plate would do just the trick! I had a hard time decided between the 2 (the other one is black with a shimmery gold "Hawkeyes" in cursive, but I'm opting for the classic black and gold with the hawk on the front. Gotta represent. :)What fun gifts to open - neither of which I had asked for or expected at all, but both things that brought a huge smile to my face. Makes me ever more excited to enter this new decade of my life! I'm so thankful for such amazing friends and family!

2 comments:
SO excited that you loved it. When I saw it I immediately thought of you. Hope your 30th is GRAND!!!
Happy, Happy Birthday Trish!!! I hope 30 is a year you'll never forget :) I LOVE your new license plate!! Proud to be a Hawkeye right along with you!! Have a great time in Atlanta!
Post a Comment