1.08.2010

So weird...but so good!

I don't want to bore you with my whole "eating plan", but I will share some of the healthy and surprisingly yummy recipes that go along with it! I'm not really doing any particular system - more like bits-n-pieces of things I've learned and what I know works for me. Two main things - #1, I'm a snacker, therefore it works better for me to eat 6 smalls meals a day rather than 3 big ones, and #2, I make sure to eat a protein whenever I eat a carb...not only because protein is essential for building healthy muscle and maintaining a strong immune system, but because it stabilizes insulin levels, which leads to steady energy throughout the day. Our bodies just work better when we balance the two. I'm also staying away from sugar pretty much in general aside from one "free" day a week. Mostly because I want to get rid of the craving (good luck, right?), and because chances are if I'm not eating sugar, I'm actually putting something worthwhile in my mouth rather than empty calories.

So, all of that may seem simple (which, in reality, it pretty much is), but when you are eating 6 small meals a day...and making sure that each one of them contains a protein...well, it's amazing how educated I'm becoming on protein! It definitely helps that I like cottage cheese! I say that, not only because cottage cheese is (in my opinion) great on its own, but it's amazing the way you can puree it and combine it in things (such as yogurt) where it barely changes the flavor, but definitely adds health benefits! Anyhow, just to give you an idea of what I eat...here's one of my menus last week (sorry...I guess I am planning on boring you with my eating plan :)).

Meal #1: post-workout protein shake: 1/4c. greek yogurt, 1/4c. orange juice, 3/4c. ff milk, 1/2 frozen banana, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, 2 ice cubes (kinda like a "creamsicle")
Meal #2: oatmeal (slow-cook oats with cinnamon, 1T natural peanut butter and craisins)
Meal #3: Taco and fresh veggies/hummus (made with a whole wheat tortilla - spread a thin layer of light sour cream, cover in fresh spinach, diced tomatoes, 2 T lowfat shredded cheese, salsa and ground turkey taco meat)
Meal #4: Pear and string cheese
Meal #5: Chicken pita pizza (whole wheat pita, pizza sauce, banana peppers, diced chicken, feta cheese) & oven roasted asparagus (drizzled in balsamic vinegar, olive oil and sea salt)
Meal #6: Keylime yogurt with pureed cottage cheese

I mean, seriously, I'm eating some great food...and yet very healthy! I actually really enjoy the challenge of mixing & matching. I've got some great menus put together for the coming weeks that I'm excited to try. It requires a little more planning than usual, but in all honesty, not as much as I would think. I pack my lunch/snacks the night before and last night I timed it - 7 minutes...that's all it took!

Alright, so I've completely digressed from what I originally intended to write about - and that was my dinner tonight...or should I say breakfast? I made protein rich pancakes that are so bizarre...and yet incredibly delicious! I mean, they're no Pancake Pantry pancakes, but for the nutritional benefits...I think I'd still choose these. I wish I would have taken a picture for you (although honestly, they just looked like pancakes :)). So here it is...

1/2c. oatmeal
1/2c. cottage cheese
4 egg whites

Put all the ingredients in a blender and mix away! I added in 1t. cinnamon (cinnamon is so good for you - and I happen to LOVE it!), 1/2t. vanilla. I ate it with Cary's sugar free syrup (I'm telling you, it's the ONLY sugar free syrup that tastes like normal syrup! It's delicious!) and some banana on top. Yum, yum, yum! I ate 2 medium-small pancakes and I was definitely full! I used egg beaters, and I think using 4 servings of that was too much egg (because 4 egg whites would not equal 1c.). So, if you're using egg beaters for your egg whites, I'd recommend just 1/2c. So, there you have it. When you need a quick and healthy breakfast - mix up a batch, put it in the fridge, heat up the griddle and enjoy! You could even spread a little natural pb on top, slice up a banana, roll it up and have a pancake burrito to go :)

So, sorry for the boring blog post, but if you happen to try it, let me know!

1 comment:

HopefulLeigh said...

My friend passed that pancake recipe on to me this past year- isn't it great? Thanks for sharing these healthy recipes. Maybe it will jump start my own diet!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...