
So I'm not cooking up anything fancy these days (although hopefully soon...I've always got the baking bug), but thought in the meantime I'll keep sharing some simple, healthy meal ideas. One of my favorite "side dishes" that has become somewhat of a staple in my life over the years is sweet potato fries. Of course I love them the way they cook 'em up in the south, but that's definitely not the healthiest way to enjoy them. My variation, although spicy rather than sweet, is quick, easy and has a nice little "bite" to it.Spicy Sweet Fries
1 medium sweet potato (fist-size is about right...good luck finding one that small!)
olive oil
taco seasoning
cayenne pepper
Turn oven on to broil. Peel sweet potato and slice in half. Cut remainder into 1/8" slices. Drop into ziplock bag, drizzle with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil, seal and shake. Open bag and sprinkle in taco seasoning (1-2 tablespoons) and cayenne pepper (depending on how spicy you want it...maybe start with 1/4 teaspoon and work your way up). Seal and shake one last tme. Spread out in a single layer on a tinfoil lined cookie sheet and broil until skin starts to bubble (you can flip them over and do the other side if you want as well, but I like it with just the one side bubbled).
Viola! I like to eat mine with a little ketchup...but they're equally as good just by themselves.

2 comments:
These sound amazing! I love sweet potato fries.
just made these tonight. Ate an entire sweet potato by myself. Very good!
Post a Comment