10.24.2009

Being completely honest.

I debated on whether to blog about this, but in some ways it's too funny for me not to post. You see, the truth is, I am terrible at dating. I am almost "reality show" humorously bad at it. I talk too much as it is - put me on a date where I'm nervous or there's any amount of awkwardness, and my coping mechanism is to talk to fill up the silence. It's a curse, I swear, but it is what it is. That would be it's own problem (and I'm sure incredibly hilarious, yet make me cringe, if I could replay all that I say), but by feeling the need to fill gaps of silence, I end up sharing random, completely useless facts! I'm actually laughing out loud right now just thinking about it!! Oh gosh...I mean, things like - did you know that if an alligator ever bit your arm, there's a valve at the back of their throat that you can push down and therefore floods the gator's mouth, causing them to choke and release your arm? Wow. Did ANYONE want to know that, let alone this guy that is trying to decide if you're completely wacko or worth asking out on a second date? On top of that, I am a very efficient (read: impatient) person, so the whole "easing into it" part of getting to know someone is just annoying to me. I'm an open book and I have a very hard time "pacing" myself in the "get to know me - get to know you" part of the process. I ask lots of questions, I'm more than willing to share lots of information...I'm basically an open book...maybe too open? I just don't want to waste someone's time - or my own - not because there's any sort of rush, but because I would like to keep from getting attached too quickly. It seems only logical...except that dating is anything BUT logical and I am about as analytical as they come. You do NOT want to know the many trains of thought that go through this mind of mine. Shew. It would wear.you.out. I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

I'm just sayin'...if you were ever in need of some serious comedic relief, sit at the table next to me when I'm on a first date. Just try not to pee yourself from laughing. :)

4 comments:

Jess said...

Trish, Have you ever watched Parks and Recreation with SNL's AMy Polar (sp?). A week or so ago's episode was about her first date problems! I think she would make you pale in comparison! You should find it on Hulu.com to relieve your fears! :-)

On a more serious note: Girl, I am an open book, too! Before Stevan and I actually went out I thought I had revealed way too much in e-mails leading up to it (since we lived an hr and half a part). But, for some reason, my incessant chatter didn't turn him off because he was interested in what I had to say. It will work out when the right guy is listening. Plus, you crack me up so you'll probably want a guy that thinks you're hilarious, too!:-)

Hang in there, Girlie!

Love you,

Jess

Heth said...

I love your honesty Trish. I agree with Jess, the right guy will love everything you have to say.

HopefulLeigh said...

I like the way you described yourself as efficient. I too would prefer to skip past the small talk and get to the part where I really know the other person and they know about me- that is, if they're worth knowing. Since I'm a social worker, I find too often that I end up being the only one asking questions and then somehow advising the person- or worse, offering therapy! It's nice to hear from someone else in the "dating trenches."

Stephanie said...

Yep, good advice girls! One of the ways that you'll know he's "the one" is that he will not only tolerate all of your talking, but he'll hang on every word! In fact, he'll find that part of you so totally charming and refreshing because it is! There is something incredibly beautiful about someone who doesn't lurk in shadows and play games with information. Open book=delightful :)

But, besides all of that, let's just get to the real news in that post...How exciting to be out on a date!! Sounds pretty great to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...