9.29.2009

Shin Splints

We just finished our morning run (5:30am is pure insanity in my world, but it is a lot cooler), but we had to cut it 3min short today since my shins started to feel like someone beat them with a 2x4. I'm sitting right now with my legs stretched out and ice packs on each shin...which is a painful and soothing feeling all at the same time. Anyhow, obviously I cannot continue running with shin splints...they don't "work themselves out", but only get worse. So...anyone have any suggestions or advice they can offer to help get rid of these things?? I bought good shoes to help prevent them (so far hasn't really worked, obviously), I'm looking up stretches to try to help in that regard, plus I'm icing them throughout the day. At this point that's what helps relieve the pain...but how do I prevent myself from getting them? Any ideas?? I'd love any feedback/suggestions/help you can give me. I don't want to give up so early in the game, but I also don't want to injure myself either.

3 comments:

Boswell said...

The only way to really get rid of shinsplints is by stretching and not using that muscle. The XC kids who get shin splints have to bike instead in order to stay strong but rest that muscle. Sorry. That's probably not what you wanted to hear.

Heth said...

Runner's world website says it's a matter of too much too soon. Have you upped your mileage suddenly? Maybe take a more gradual approach. Do you have any flex room in your training program? How many weeks does it have you training before the race?

Stephanie said...

Oh I'm so bummed for you, those are painful! I don't want to be the negative voice of reason here, but I have found that I cannot run on hard, uneven surfaces anymore. Not only do my shins hurt like crazy, but so do my knees. Are we getting old??? It's so depressing to me! I certainly would never tell you to quit, but I will never attempt a marathon for that reason. It's just too painful. I hate the treadmill, so I'm an elliptical girl now. Wish this was a cheerier comment...so sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...