10.01.2009

Pushing Through

I am bound and determined not to give up! I know a lot of the issue with shin splints is due to being a beginner when it comes to running. I do a lot of activities and various forms of exercising, but running has not been one of them because...well...I loathe it :). Anyhow, thank you for all of your feedback, input, suggestions, etc. I've also been researching and have come to a couple conclusions. First, I need to run on a softer surface until my body gets used to running. Most articles I read talked about that being one of the major reasons for getting shin splints (aside from poor shoes...which is not my problem). Second, I need to do a better job of stretching pre-run. I found a booklet full of stretches that I'm going to start following and hopefully that will also help. Finally, I'm going to add in some cross-training, just to give my shins a bit of a rest while at the same time strengthening the muscles so that I'm not losing momentum. Normally we have our longer run on Saturday, but this week we'll be cycling instead. It will be some kind of challenging course because the point is to push myself, not take a joy ride. I hate that I feel like such an out-of-shape weakling when it comes to running, considering that I am not a lazy bum, but I just keep reminding myself that any new form of exercise requires the body to adjust and build endurance...so it's the same thing as picking up a new sport of any kind...it just takes time. Patience has never been one of my strengths. :)

Unrelated to running, let me just say that I love my Prius! I'll be honest, at first it was one of those decisions that just "made sense" or was the smarter route to go - and I thought I'd really miss driving an SUV, sitting higher up and kicking back the sunroof. Okay, so I still miss the sunroof, but other than that, I love driving it! It's SO quiet, very "zippy" and just an overall smooth, smooth ride! I'm still getting the hang of driving it, which I know sounds weird, but there are ways to get better gas mileage out of it than just driving like any other car. My dad has perfected it (they've had a prius for several years) and gets 50-55mpg all the time. My mom on the other hand, just wants to drive like she's always driven and averages 45mpg (still nothing to complain about!). It's now become sort of a challenge to me to watch the screen and see my mileage increase/decrease and try to get the most mpg I can. It's weird, I know, but it's so dang addictive!

The other highlight of my week is that I found an amazing deal on the lens I've been wanting for my camera. The one I have now (which I love) is not ideal for scenic shots, etc. so I've been looking for a new lens for a while. The one I really wanted costs an arm and a leg, so I did some more research and found a lens with rave reviews and much more reasonable price. I recently found it on sale for even less and placed my order! Now all I have left to do is get my tourist visa and I'm all set for my trip to China!

Alright, well that's it for today. I've got a lot of work ahead of me and need to dive in while I enjoy the iced mocha my coworker, Danny, brought me this morning. Isn't that nice?! Totally made my day.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Good for you Trish! I hope all of those things really do make a difference for you...running is bad enough. Running in pain is worse!! :) You will be great I'm sure. Your new car is very cute! I think it suits you :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...