This is the spaghetti squash after I cooked it in a 350ยบ oven for 1 hour (washed it and cut a slice in it before baking in a casserole dish)
After I scooped out the seeds and pulp, I used a fork to "pull apart" the rest. I'm already amazed - it looks so much like spaghetti noodles! It definitely has a different texture and flavor, but it's still pretty neutral. Onto the rest of the "spaghetti-esque" casserole.
I used 1 lb. of ground turkey - browned and drained.
I'm the lazy person that buys the prepacked pre-cut vegetables. Not always, but apparently I was in a slacker mood when I did my grocery shopping - and honestly, I didn't regret it! It sure made the prep part easier (and less messy!)!
Add the green/red peppers (1/2 cup each) and 1/4 cup red onions...
Also the lazy-man's garlic. Come on, you know you've used it!
Add around 1 tsp or more...I like garlic, so I just put in a nice big spoonful. Stir over medium heat until the vegetables are tender.
Mmmm...don't you just love generic packaging?! Those Italian Diced Tomatoes look much better inside the can than on the outside :).
Drain the diced tomatoes and add to meat/veggie mixture along with 1/2 t. oregano, 1/2 t. basil, 1/4 t. pepper and 1/4 t. salt (I'm not a big salt person, so I used a little less).**Pretend there's a picture here that shows me adding the spaghetti squash and 1/2 c. 2% shredded cheddar cheese.
Lightly grease 8x8 baking dish and spread mixture evenly into it. Bake for 25 minutes, adding another 1/2 c. 2% shredded cheddar to the top for the remaining 5 minutes.
Ooooyeah....
There you have it! I thought it was absolutely delicious! Like my ghetto garlic bread? I figured it was a bit healthier than the other options out there. My first experience with spaghetti squash was a definite success...can't wait to try more recipes!

No comments:
Post a Comment