I think I may have actually said that word (and thought it) about 42.6 times today. I think I felt it about 100% of the time. Don't worry peeps, it's not because things are bad...no, no, quite the contrary...things are just "overwhelming" right now. The best way I can describe it is the way you felt the first day of class at the beginning of each semester of college. The professor would hand you a syllabus and go over every single test, project and paper that would be happening throughout the semester...and seeing it all at once always made me freak out and feel like there was no way on God's green earth that I was going to be able to accomplish everything on that syllabus in the course of one semester.
But I did.
Every semester.
All four years.
That's how today was for me. I spent the day in "orientation" going from one office to the next to the next to the next, learning about the inner-workings of the company - and in the midst of that had a meeting about a design project that is pretty exciting in regards to the event(s) itself, but needs to be created and ready-to-roll asap. It's not that I can't design quickly - I'm capable of it. I don't prefer it, but I can do it. I know this also doesn't reflect on the time-frame of future projects, but it definitely puts a lot of pressure on this one considering that it's my first major project for the company - and it has to be accomplished in a very short amount of time. So, needless to say, I didn't leave the office until 8:30 (kinda funny to be the last person out on my first full day!) and it may be a long day tomorrow as well.
I'm pretty sure there was a constant look of "shock" on my face the whole day - just a little information overload, but everyone was incredibly nice and although I'm still freaked out (I'll be fine in about 2 weeks), I feel pretty confident it's going to be a really good fit...just gotta get through the transition/adjustment phase of it all. I am definitely excited about the new challenges and creative "stretching" that will happen...even if it's not a cake-walk in the midst of it all. This company is celebrating it's 25th anniversary this year...and still has a lot of vision for the future and the changes that will come. It feels good to be at a place where there's lots of room to grow...knowing where I'm starting from is not the "end all".
Well folks, I'm off to bed at 10:00pm, which is really early for me...but I'm pretty sure my brain could use a rest. I must say, it's kind of exciting not having a clue what tomorrow has in store!
Always an adventure! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment