Since I'm not actually submitting the recipe (since it really didn't work), I thought I'd share my concept with you and see if anyone wanted to contribute some ideas/suggestions. Basically, I took phyllo dough, covered it in a cream cheese/egg/sugar/vanilla mixture, sprinkled it with chopped brown sugar cinnamon almonds, and finally topped it off with sliced kiwi, slivers of strawberries and pineapple chunks. Rolled it together, sealed the seam, baked it until golden brown, brushed with melted butter while still hot and sprinkled with cinnamon & sugar.Here's what didn't work.
#1 - the phyllo dough is too flimsy to hold all the ingredients, too difficult to roll, and too flaky to try to slice afterwards. Plus, it browns rather quickly - before the inside was fully baked.
#2 - the cream cheese mixture, although similar to a simple cheesecake, requires too much cooking...which causes the fruit to turn into mush and the phyllo dough to burn.
SO, among many conclusions, the main one came down to this...I need a way to create this recipe where it doesn't require baking - or phyllo dough. I thought about cookie dough, and I also thought about crescent rolls - but both require baking...and even if I used an eggless cookie dough, it wouldn't "roll" (unless I used a sugar cookie dough...which is a thought) and would be too soft next to a cream cheese layer of any kind...which I think goes well with the remaining ingredients (I would need to tweak it for a no-bake recipe, but that's no problem). I need something that will roll up like sushi, but also something that has a bit more of a solid or crunchy texture. If you come up with any great ideas, let me know. More than likely I'm just going to move on to another project, but if someone throws out something worth trying, I will definitely give it another go!

1 comment:
Okay, so one time I took regular tortillas, sprayed them with cooking spray and sprinkled cinnamon sugar over the top of them. The spray (or you could used melted butter) browned them up and the cinnamon sugar made them crispy. What if you rolled the tortilla while soft, and then you brushed the butter/spray on it and sprinkled stuff over it. It would be flexible enough to roll, but then becomes harder as it browns. Just a thought.
Post a Comment