12.09.2008

Lovin' Lemons

When life gives you lemons...by golly, don't just make lemonade! Make your own candles, soap, pies, cookies, centerpieces, and garnishes...and don't even stop there. Do a search online and I'm sure you'll discover 100's of uses for lemons...and when you've tried all of those - start asking friends or reading books or traveling the world to see what they've discovered you can do with a lemon!

That, my friends, is what I intend to do!

The economy isn't great (not like anyone wants me to remind them), but I am incredibly grateful to have a house and a job. I so desperately want to move, but I know that God has the perfect timing and a plan that's in-progress even when I don't see the wheels turning. There are so many things that I can just get frustrated over (and I could list them...but seriously, who wants a Debbie Downer?) or stay at home and cry about them, but I'm sorry, life is much too short and frankly, I just don't like crying! So, instead of eating oreos and turning into a twinkie (bet you didn't know THAT was possible!) all while wasting away in front of the tv and waiting for a life that I dream of...I'm going to do something about it. Yes, I have the small issue of NOT having the Rocky Mountains, or snow, or a nearby river to kayak in, but you better believe that's not stopping me!

First, I'm joining an outdoor adventure club (I owe Cheri for this one!). Okay, let me just say that I have no idea how I was not aware this even existed in Nashville...but maybe in all the previous times that I'd been looking for it, it wasn't the right timing...who knows. Either way, I'm ecstatic I've found it now and cannot wait to take advantage of all the opportunities available: rock climbing the 1st & 3rd Thursday of every month, a weekend backpacking/camping trip every month, ski trips, ziplines, and moonlit hikes just to name a few.

Second, I want to learn to kayak. I LOVE whitewater rafting - it's definitely in my top-10 list of favorite things, so kayaking has always been a dream of mine. I live in Nashville, and while there are rivers here & there...nothing that has anything close to resembling a whitewater rapid. So although I won't be learning amidst the beauty of nature, I'll take a kayak in a pool if it gets me closer to accomplishing the real thing! I did some searching (this was even harder to find) and was able to find 2 different options - one beginning in February and one in May. The sooner the better!

Third, I am going to meet new people this year. I am going to meet them through the outdoors club, through kayaking, through church, and by just hanging around REI & Bink's and introducing myself :-). After I meet them, I am going to plan ski trips, snow-tubing trip, hiking trip, kayaking trips, whitewater rafting trips, camping trips, game nights, movie nights and let's-go-get-coffee nights.

Why? Because if life wants to hand me lemons, you better believe I'm going to use them...and when I'm finished, plant the seeds and grow some more :-).

2 comments:

Beth said...

That sounds like a New Year's Resolution a month early...haha. Great thoughts, Trish. I would keep going to Bink's with you if I could. You actually live in a great place right now where you can probably do more outdoor activities more often because of the climate. I know you can't ski, but you certainly can't kayak in February in Colorado. I love kayaking although I've only been a few times. I want one for Christmas. Will you ask Santa for me?

all up in each others bizness said...

trish thanks for the encouraging post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...