You know, none of us ever want to think of ourselves as judgemental, but the reality is, most often we are. Well, I probably shouldn't speak for everyone, but I will be honest enough to admit that I have this tendency. I don't do it because I think I'm better than anyone - I am very aware of my own flaws, don't you worry! I wish I could give you some great excuse for WHY I have this tendency, but in all reality, no excuse would be a good one or hold any relevance. So, as in many things in life, this is one area I need to grow in. I think about the situations, struggles, challenges and hardships that people walk through in all stages of their lives - and the choice that people make to either stay in those places or press through to overcome. How would you like it if you told someone something that you struggled with and were overcoming, only to have them continue to judge you for that struggle rather than give you a clean slate and see you for who you are now and where you are going from this point forward? After all, what is forgiveness, grace and mercy? I am so convicted by this issue in my life. I think The Message says it best in Matthew 7:1...
"Don't pick on people, jump on their failures, criticize their faults— unless, of course, you want the same treatment. That critical spirit has a way of boomeranging. It's easy to see a smudge on your neighbor's face and be oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own. Do you have the nerve to say, 'Let me wash your face for you,' when your own face is distorted by contempt? It's this whole traveling road-show mentality all over again, playing a holier-than-thou part instead of just living your part. Wipe that ugly sneer off your own face, and you might be fit to offer a washcloth to your neighbor."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment