I am stuck on "couch-rest" right now. It's an embarrassing story of how I got here, but that's probably not all that surprising.
Last week Julie & I loaded our bikes onto the car and took off for work. I forgot that as I was loading my bike up, I had set my helmet on top of the car - so we didn't get too far before we heard a crash. Julie stopped the car immediately and I said, "Oh no! What was that?!" She said, "I think you forgot about your helmet..." to which I started laughing and said, "Ohhhh yeah! Oops!" I quickly turned to dart out of the car and pick it up, and as I was jumping out, my purse strap caught on my ankle and yanked me back into the car. Laughing even more as I'm stumbling out of the car, I untangle myself, grab my helmet, and get back in the car. We're both laughing by this point and I just said, "Well how was that for a comedy of errors! Sheesh!" I sat back in the passenger seat for a moment and then mentioned my back kind of hurting. At the time it wasn't anything significant, just enough to be a nuisance. Well, as the week progressed, so did the pain in my back. I went for a bike ride thinking maybe it would just "work itself out", but I think it just made it worse. I canceled my climb (which was really disappointing, but probably the wise thing to do) and really laid-low last week (putting me behind in tri training for sure). By Monday I could hardly sit I was in so much pain, so I called the chiropractor and got an appointment for that afternoon. After she examined and adjusted me, she said I couldn't even have massage therapy because my back was so swollen and inflamed. No wonder I was in pain! So I went through some ultrasound therapy before heading home with instructions to stay as flat as possible with ice on my back for the next day. I did just that and went in again for more adjusting and therapy yesterday - this time a massage. WOW, that was pretty painful. You always know it's a good pain - that they're getting all the kinks and knots out, but sheesh it hurt! I can already tell a significant difference, but still have one more day of working from home with ice and drinking lots of water to restore those muscles. Ugh...all of this because of my clumsiness. I'm thinking I'll be much more careful next time :).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment