9.15.2014

Week One

Where do I even begin!

A week ago Friday I officially moved to Colorado. Let me just say that again...I LIVE IN COLORADO!!! :) I wake up every morning and when I get in the car to go anywhere, I have this incredible view of the mountains that makes me want to have a dance party! I hope it never gets old. I hope that 10 years from now they still take my breath away. More than that, I hope that I'm still telling the story of how God brought me here and of all that unfolded once I got here. Exciting to think I'm in the midst of that story and I don't even know what is yet to come!

My friend Stephanie was kind enough to drive cross-country with me and help me settle in and unpack. She flew out early Saturday morning, so I dropped her off at the airport and then immediately headed west. I had signed up to get involved with YoungLife and found out earlier that week that they were having a leadership retreat out at Crooked Creek Ranch, so I signed up to go even though I wouldn't know anyone. What better way to just dive in and build community! The drive to the ranch was spectacular - SO incredibly gorgeous! When I arrived I didn't know where to go or what to do since my only point of contact was the Broomfield area leader named Zach, but we hadn't even met yet so I wasn't sure what he looked like. I found two girls walking toward the main lodge and asked if they knew Zach, and while they didn't, they were able to help me find him. The group had just finished eating breakfast so I dropped my things off at the room and then immediately headed to a main gathering time. From there we had an opportunity to just go spend some time with the Lord and then meet up with our local area groups. Zach introduced me to the team and shared a little bit of my story and I gotta say, I've never met a more inviting or welcoming group of people! It was completely overwhelming in the best way possible! It was a whirlwind of a weekend, but an absolute gift from the Lord. My greatest fear in moving was that I would be lonely, and satan never even stood a chance! I went from not knowing anyone to an incredible group of friends/community in the first 24 hours. And that's just the beginning!

At dinner Saturday night I struck up a conversation with a girl named Haylee and mentioned that I was a little nervous about my housing. I knew it was potentially temporary (the house is on the market) and multiple people had mentioned how hard housing is to come by in the Broomfield area. She said, "Oh girl! This is perfect! 3 of us are actually looking for a place to live and would love to have a 4th roommate!" I said, "Well I know it's temporary, but you're all welcome to move in with me if you want!" She asked where I lived and her eyes lit up. She told the other two girls and they had the same reaction. Little did I know that where I'm living was exactly where they had been praying to move. In fact, they had an opportunity to move into another house and were needing to make a decision on the lease by that coming Wednesday. Just earlier that week, one of the girls (Cassidy) had said, "I'm praying that God opens up another door before Wednesday." Little did she know... :)

Monday I met with Zach for coffee and just got more excited to get involved with YoungLife. That night a friend that I haven't seen in 3 years happened to be in town so we grabbed a spontaneous dinner and just enjoyed hours of great conversation. It was such a treat and perfect timing to have a familiar friendly face.  The next morning the girls came over to check out the house and made the decision to move in. After they left I took off for the Apple store to get my iphone battery checked out. The Genius tech plugs my phone in to check the battery and says, "So I see you have Bible Gateway on here. What do you use that for?" I immediately assumed he must be a Christian, so I talked about how I read various devotionals on my kindle and use Bible Gateway to look up the scripture references in various translations. I mentioned that I just moved to the area and asked where he went to church. He said he didn't. I asked how long he'd lived here thinking maybe that's why he hadn't found a church yet. He said his whole life. I invited him to a church that I hadn't even started attending yet, but I think the Lord kinda tricked me into it. :) I say that because I realized when I left the Apple store that I don't actually have Bible Gateway on my phone. I have it on my ipad (which is why it didn't throw me off initially), but not on my phone. Not sure what he saw instead, but I just know God was all over that!

Wednesday I threw stuff in the crockpot to make chicken taco soup and then decided it would be a great meal to share, so I invited the girls that were moving in to come over for dinner. It was a gorgeous day, so I set the patio table outside and just had a great time getting to know the girls a bit more. After that was my first YoungLife Club experience. Zach invited me to come and just sit back and observe - soak it all in. I loved it! I laughed so hard, loved watching the kids interact with each other and just got excited to be a part of this incredible organization. There was another girl named Abbie that was there observing as well. Zach introduced us and mentioned that she attends Flatirons. We started talking and I found out that she's a senior at CU, so I asked if she was involved with Flatirons young adult group. She said she wasn't, so I invited her to go with me the next night as I was going to "shadow" it before my volunteer interview. Love how God orchestrated the timing of that!

Thursday I checked out a new coffee shop called Proper Grounds across the street from the church. When I arrived there was only one 4-person table available. I hated to take it, but it was the only option. I setup to start working and about 30 minutes later a group of women - I'm going to guess mid-50's - came in to order and asked if they could sit at my table for a moment while their friend used the restroom. I said absolutely and struck up a conversation. They kept trying to give me their food which was in itself pretty funny! After repeatedly declining their offers, one lady just broke her muffin in half and gave it to me, ha! Not gonna lie, it was molasses and it was delicious. Anyway, somewhere in the conversation I mention that I just moved to the area and one lady proceeds to pull out a pamphlet to hand to me, mentioning that they're Jehovah's Witnesses. I said thank you for the offer but proceeded to share a little bit of my story and told them that I attend Flatirons across the street. We talked a bit more before they took off, but I couldn't help but laugh at the fact that the only table available was meant to be a larger table for that whole interaction to take place. Love how God works!

Thursday night I went to the launch of the new Merge (young adult group) at Flatirons. I met Abbie there and her friend Kristin. We had a large gathering first and then split into age groups (18-20, 21-23, 24+). I actually went to the 21-23 group to stick with Abbie and Kristin and although I felt just slightly out of place in regards to age (not maturity :)), I enjoyed getting to know the people that were in my small group. Really looking forward to getting involved even more.

Saturday I met up with my friend that was in from out of town for an early morning hike. So much fun! The weather was just incredible, the scenery was gorgeous, the trails were even a bit muddy which was fun, and all of that combined with the company and conversation just made for a great morning. From there I went home and hung up my hammock in the backyard for a little quiet time/nap before heading to Louisville (adorable small town) to meet Abbie for coffee. After we said goodbye I went over to Cassidy's house for a cookout and just sat outside talking and getting to know people until late into the night.

But the best part of this past week was actually a small moment today that was what I would call a "full circle" moment. Bob (my landlord) came over to check on a few things and we got into a great conversation. He and his wife are Christians and attend a church in Boulder. He mentioned that when they got the email from me last month saying that God was calling me to Broomfield, they both thought it was a little odd because they're not "those kind of people", but they also believe that God does speak to people, so they weren't going to argue with it. Also, he admitted they were nervous because I wasn't going to be making much of a dent in their mortgage. He said God had been really teaching them to let go and trust in his timing. I shared the more detailed story of how God had called me to Broomfield and he said, "Wow. That gives me goosebumps!" and I said that although they're selling the house, we're all praying that somehow God will provide a way for us to stay. Maybe the new owner will be purchasing the home as a rental - who knows, and if it doesn't work out, we're trusting that the timing of the sale of this home will be directly aligned with the timing of just the right property becoming available for us to move. I mention the issue of budget and Bob says, "you know the crazy thing? We were so nervous to rent the house to you for so little, but when you brought in the 3 girls, we're now actually making more on the house than what we rented it for the past 7 years." I just grinned and said, "Who would have guessed last week that within 24 hours of moving in I would have hit it off with 3 girls that I'm super excited to live with, love Jesus, and needed a place to rent - and it's exactly what all of us needed! Isn't it cool that with God it's a win for everyone?"

So that, my friends, was my first week in this absolutely breathtaking place! This week I have an interview with Flatirons to volunteer with Merge, am going to a Rockies game with a girl I've never met and am looking forward to spending more time getting to know the 3 amazing women I get to share a home with. I just keep pinching myself!! Not only have none of my fears or worries about this move come to fruition (not shocking), but it has actually been the complete opposite to where I feel absolutely at home in a place that is completely new and foreign and that can only be the Lord. I am giddy with anticipation of what is coming next! Stay tuned! :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...