5.16.2012

Now?

I often find myself asking God one question repeatedly, and it's a simple, basic but oh-so-impatient question: Now?  I kinda laugh to myself when I think about it because, let's be honest, God makes it pretty clear when His "now" is, but yet I still find myself impatiently asking the question.  Tonight is a perfect example.  I've always wanted to serve on a Mercy Ship.  I have absolutely no background in medicine, but I am so passionate about what they do and drawn to their ministry in a way I can't quite explain. Tonight I found myself checking opportunities to serve on their website (translate: asking God, "Now?"), but he promptly answered with a clear "Not yet" when I saw that out of the 2 short term possibilities, the first was the exact dates of my trip to Italy in September (I mean exact dates!) and the other stated that there were no more opportunities available until 2013.  Looks like God will get a break from that question for the rest of the year.

The next question I don't find myself asking all that often, but find that it's often prompted by others. You see, I "dabble" in a variety of things. I wouldn't say I excel at most of them, but I really enjoy them and wouldn't mind more opportunities to pursue some of them.  One of those is doing events for people. I'm often asked why I don't create events more often.  On one hand I'd probably answer with a list of excuses or reasons why I just can't, but if I was really honest, I think that every time I've asked God, "Now?" he's simply responded with, "Someday" and for whatever reason, when it comes to this specific thing, I'm content to just stop asking the question and trust that he will tell me when it's time.

Trust.

Ahh, that one small word can so quickly change the question or just remove it altogether.  I could say it's patience, and yes, that would be helpful, but to me it's really more about trust.  It's trusting that when life doesn't make sense (and let's be honest, it doesn't make sense more often than not), rather than getting anxious and chasing after any open door we can find, you just have to trust that God's timing is perfect and his "Now" is never a second too late.

So take your list of questions - whether it be asking for a child, for a spouse, for a new job, a raise, much needed time away - whatever it is, take the question and rather than asking God "Now?", just hand over the list and trust Him with it.  You'll be amazed at the weight that is lifted from your life.  The irony of it all?  You're letting go of something he's had a plan for all along :).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think that this post was written and posted to Facebook at just the right time. I really needed to be reminded of what it means to trust God and stop asking that nagging question of "when?". Thanks for posting and sharing this Trish. God used it to speak to me tonight :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...