4.05.2010

Ode to REI

I have to give a little shout out to one of my favorite stores today for becoming even more amazing (and who would've thought that was possible?!).

3 years ago I bought a pair of Chacos. People swear by them...saying they're the most comfortable outdoor sandal out there. I was getting ready to leave for a missions trip, so I decided to fork out the cash and invest in a pair. I took them on the trip, expecting them to be my "go-to" shoe, but every time I put them on and started walking, the straps would pull at my toe and my big toe would begin to turn purple from the circulation cutting off! I kept taking them off, readjusting the straps and trying again...but every time, same result. SO uncomfortable. I ended up in my flip flops for the rest of the trip.

Every summer I'd pull them out again, thinking maybe just maybe this time they will be comfortable, but each time...same result. Sadly, I gave up and put them on the shelf...and haven't worn them since.

Not too long ago I was talking to a friend who is a huge fan of her Chacos and as she was raving about how great they are, I told her my disappointing story. She asked what year I bought them and when I told her, she knew exactly what the problem was. Apparently one year Chaco made the glue too tight and everyone complained that they couldn't adjust their straps. The next year, they used a different adhesive, but instead of the straps not being adjustable, they became too loose, not staying in place. That happened to be the summer I bought my Chacos.

Anyhow, back to REI. I took my 3-year-old Chacos into REI this past weekend and explained the story...thinking full well there was no chance they could do anything about a used pair of Chacos. Instead, I was pleasantly surprised when they said, "Hey, our policy is customer satisfaction guaranteed, so go pick out another pair and we'll exchange them". Are you kidding? That's amazing! I picked out a new pair - same style, just different color, and not only did they do an even exchange, but because it was member appreciation week and I got 20% off of any purchase, they actually gave me cash back. That's right, they PAID me to exchange a 3-year-old pair of shoes.

Now THAT is what I call customer service!


And just so you know, I wore them all day yesterday and they are by far the most comfortable pair of athletic sandals I own. No circulation issues whatsoever...my feet said thank you.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...