3.23.2010

Pumpkin Oatmeal

Every night before I go to work, I assemble the next day's meals. I do most of my main prep on the weekends, and then it's just a matter of packing things up. It's the only way I can stay on top of healthy eating on a daily basis. I know for me, half the battle of living healthy is being organized. The other half, is not eating on repeat. I certainly wish I was that way - it would make life so much easier, but "variety is the spice of life" and I definitely live by that! I'm a believer in eating a hearty, healthy breakfast in the morning...knowing that your body needs the fuel and that it also helps keep you from being so famished later in the day. I can tend to get in a "breakfast rut" though. I rarely (okay, pretty much never) have time to prepared and eat breakfast at home before I leave, so convenience is key. I recently discovered bagel thins, pretty much the greatest invention ever! Last week I made my own very light version of a pumpkin cream cheese and boy was it ever delish on a lightly toasted bagel thin! Pair that with some light yogurt and 1 c. of grapes and oolahlah...breakfast is served!

So, tonight I was getting tomorrow's meals ready and I was running low on breakfast options. I stood in the fridge, staring at its contents, and noticed a tupperware full of leftover pumpkin. I pulled out my trusty Hungry Girl cookbook and flipped through the pumpkin recipes and decided to give the pumpkin oatmeal a try. Granted, I haven't eaten it yet, but I tested out a spoonful, and mmmmboy was it good! If you are a pumpkin fan, this is a recipe you'll definitely want to try!

Pumpkin Oatmeal (yields one serving)

1 c. water (or less if you want thicker oatmeal)
1/2 c. old-fashioned oatmeal
3 T. pumpkin
1 T. sugar-free maple syrup (I love Cary's brand)
1/4 t. cinnamon
1 packet zero calorie sweetener
dash of salt

In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil (I used the full 1 cup even though I like thicker oatmeal. I would recommend doing this if you plan on reheating to eat later since it thickens as it sets). Reduce heat to medium and add in oatmeal, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Add pumpkin, syrup, cinnamon, sweetener and salt, stirring until combined (I also added a splash of pure vanilla). Remove from heat and enjoy! Optional Toppings: pecans, bananas, dried cranberries, raisins, cooked apples...the possibilities are endless!

1 comment:

HopefulLeigh said...

This recipe sounds awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...