12.17.2009

The perfect Christmas gift

My roommate took off this morning to spend Christmas in Turkey with her sister who is a missionary over there. Can't wait to hear her stories and see all of her pictures! She took me to the airport at the crack-o-dawn when I left for China, so it was my turn to return the favor. We left the house at the "dark" and early hour of 3:45am. Shew! I was back home by 4:30 and crawled right back in bed! :) Even still, I could so go for a nap right now.

You know one thing I love about the Christmas season? It's certainly not the shopping (I'm so glad I have very little of that to do!) and it's not even all the parties (not that I don't enjoy them!)...I love that this time of year there are so many opportunities to bless those in need. I know the opportunities are available year round, and I certainly intend to get more involved on a regular basis, but it seems like during the holidays there are more ways to help than any other time of year.

Saturday a large group of us are heading to Tent City in Nashville. I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't even know it existed. We literally have a city-within-the-city that consists of homeless people living in tents. When I heard about the service project, I got online and did some research to see what it was all about and was just saddened to think that I go on every day all happy-go-lucky with my life and yet just miles away there are people freezing through the night with a tent as their only source of shelter. I'm not sure all that we'll be doing on Saturday, but I'm looking forward to serving in any way that I can....and I have a feeling I'll walk away more impacted by them than they are by us. Hopefully even in some small way we're able to make a difference in their lives and bring some hope in the greatest way possible...through God's love.

Monday we're partnering with Room in the Inn to bring some serious holiday cheer by throwing them a Christmas party! I mean, seriously, how fun is that?! We're bringing games to play, reading the Christmas story, providing all sorts of festive snacks and goodies...talk about the best Christmas party of the season! I loved helping them with their Toy Store a few weekends ago...those guys just cracked me up! I'm definitely looking forward to hanging out with them again.

I know for many people, this time of year (and this year in particular) they are feeling the financial strain of not only life, but all the extra costs that come into play during the holidays. Maybe this year rather than giving gifts to each other, you give of yourself - your talents, your time, your love - to someone in need.

It may just be the best gift they've ever received.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...