10.13.2009

Strawberry Shortcake Cake

Every month we have a little birthday celebration at the office and typically purchase a cake from Publix or Costco. During September we had a fun little party and someone mentioned wishing I had made something rather than the cake being purchased. I thought that was sweet. So, the office took a vote and now rather than buying a cake every month, they're just giving me the money they would normally spend and I'm making whatever they ask for! It's kinda fun because I love a new challenge! I just hope none of them completely bomb. This month's request was a "strawberry shortcake" cake. I made a vanilla sour cream cake and threw in a hint of almond flavoring just for an added kick. Then I cut each of the 2 cakes into 2 pieces, making 4 layers altogether. I cut up a box of strawberries and covered them in sugar, allowing them to soak for about 30 minutes before putting them in the food processor and chopping them a little more finely. After that I spread the chopped strawberries & juice on the top of each "cut" layer, allowing the juices to soak into the cake. I popped all the layers into the freezer to harden just a little bit. Then, I made a cream cheese butter icing that I spread on top of the strawberry layer before stacking the layers on top of each other. Finally...coated the remainder of the cake in the icing, decorated with another box of strawberries, and viola! Strawberry Shortcake Cake. I would take pics of the inside, but I figure it's not good etiquette to cut out a piece of the cake before delivering it :). I regret the dots of icing, but other than that it turned out okay. More than anything, I just hope it tastes good. I work with an office full of men and I'm pretty sure when it comes down to it - how it looks is the least important :).

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Ok, I'm way behind on your blogging....that cake looks amazing Trish!! Really beautiful and the combination sounds wonderful. How did it go over??

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...