Saturday morning I got up and took Gidget for her first haircut. While she was being groomed, I headed over to Fleet Feet to get fitted for a running shoe. I tend to get shin splints every time I run, so this time I was going to play the smart way and make sure I start out with the right shoe. They were able to explain to me why I get shin splints, as well as recommend a shoe that would help relieve that problem, so in a short amount of time I was out the door with a new pair of shoes and several pairs of running socks.
I ran a few more errands before heading back to the groomer to pick up Gidget and meet my favorite little puerto rican, Merari, in downtown Franklin. Merari has been serving in Mozambique all summer and I was SO excited to finally see her! We ate lunch outside at the Mercantile and caught up on all that's been going on in each other's lives. After we finished eating we walked around downtown Franklin, which is always hilarious with Gidget since she attracts attention like a miniature celebrity (btw, the groomer put the bows in her hair, not me. That's not my thing). Everyone wants to pet her or hold her. We even walked by one store and they came out and said we really needed to shop in their store because they really wanted to play with the puppy. Thankfully Gidget loves the attention and is always more than happy to meet a stranger or be held by anyone.
I have to insert here that my favorite college football team (Iowa Hawkeyes) played their biggest rival (Iowa State Cyclones) on Saturday and although I wasn't home to watch the game, I installed an app on my phone so I could watch live updates and keep up with the score minute-by-minute. I wish I could have been in AZ with my family watching it at the Iowa bar across the street from Nathan's house. That is always SO much fun! Anyhow, I'm proud to say that my Hawkeyes took the win on Saturday...35 to 3!After Merari & I said goodbye, I headed home to meet up with some other girlfriends for an evening outside at Arrington Vineyards. It was a gorgeous night and an even better atmosphere (and company!). We started to head home, but decided we were hungry, so we made a pit-stop at Steak & Shake. We re-lived memories from our ski trip last February and laughed hysterically! Hopefully we can plan another trip out west to ski together again this year.
Sunday afternoon I had a volleyball game that was so much fun! We laughed SO much and even walked away with all 3 wins. It was the most enjoyable, relaxed, competitive and fun game I think we've had all season. The rest of the evening I spent grocery shopping, baking and hanging out at home. A nice, laid back end to a full and fun weekend.
Okay, so back to the running. I hate to even say this outloud or put it in writing, because then that means I actually have to DO it, but frankly, I'm needing some accountability right now. Ryan wants me to run a 1/2 marathon with him for my 30th birthday in January. Personally, I don't like running. I have tried on multiple occasions to get the "bug", but I just find myself getting bored. It feels monotonous and repetitive and I feel like the whole time I'm running I'm thinking about how much longer I have until I can be finished. I think I'd pretty much rather do any sport than to just go outside and run. BUT, I also think it would feel like a great accomplishment and gives me a goal to shoot for, so I'm going to give it my best effort and start to train. I went for my first run this morning...and all I can say at this point is I'm really glad I'm only having to run 3-times a week to begin with. I did not enjoy it. It also really didn't help that I got blisters on my heels from my new shoes...making the second half of the run quite uncomfortable. However, I will say I feel great after the fact, but I wish that was enough to make me excited to go out again. Maybe in time I'll become addicted. I'm hoping so or this is going to be a loooong haul to January. Anyone else out there start with loathing running and eventually come to like it?
Alright, well I'm hoping for a clear and sunny week - particularly the weekend. I'm thinking camping sounds about perfect this time of year!

No comments:
Post a Comment