7.30.2009

Puppy on the brain

I'm sorry, I can't help myself. The anticipation of picking her up is killing me! It's the closest thing I can relate to being 5 years old and feeling like Christmas morning might never come! Plus, add to that the fact that although we had one (near perfect) dog growing up, I've never personally trained a dog, so I now find myself reading every possible article I can get my hands on to make sure I don't completely confuse the poor little thing. All I can say right now is, thank goodness I'm getting a puppy and not a child. I'm pretty sure I'm nowhere near capable of that responsibility right now...I'd be a complete disaster! I mean, I'm freaking out over how much space is too much space for her and how far away or close her puppy pee pad needs to be from her bed so that I help her to be successful in her potty training.

I'm a complete freak. As if I wasn't already aware, this is further proving the point that I overthink everything.

I keep telling myself, "thank goodness she's cute. That will be helpful when she pees on the carpet by mistake." Isn't that also the reason God made babies so cute? It's much harder to be mad at something that's adorable.

I apologize to anyone who feels like I'm relating their child to a puppy. I'm very aware that a baby is a significantly larger responsibility than a puppy...and cute in a completely different, less hairy way.

So, other than diligent studying in puppy training habits, this week has been pretty good! I've done some shopping to get ready for the dog, played some sand volleyball in-between rain storms, and otherwise have had a pretty normal week full of work, cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping and working out.

Oh, and by the way, I'm naming her Gidget. I already ordered her little engraved tag :) I'm not big into girl dogs being covered in pink and frills (no offense if that's your thing), so Gidgy will be more on the classy side...mostly just because I love plaid. I should have named her Burberry :).

3 comments:

Boswell said...

I love that you are so excited about your dog. I love my dog very much. They really do become part of your family, but you already know that with Toby and all. Can't wait for this little puppy!

Erin said...

Trish I am so excited for you!! Yeah! I can't wait to meet her. I will be there the last week of August - I want to see you!

Trish said...

I will be in AZ August 26-31...hopefully you'll be here before that?? I'd love to see you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...