Friday night I flew out to Denver and was greeted by my college roommate and longtime friend, Lisa. We have some seriously hilarious memories from college (and pictures to go with them that could easily be used as blackmail). We took off for the mountains, stopping for dinner & ice cream along the way :). It was a beautiful drive and of course we had lots to catch up on, so there was never a dull moment.
We got up to her parent's place in Estes Park around 9:30 or so and had fun just hangin' and checking out the place (it's so woodsy...I love it!). They have these awesome bunkbeds made out of logs that were so much fun!
We stayed up until 4am talking (just like old times :)) and slept in a little bit before getting up and getting ready for the day. We took off for downtown Estes right around lunch time...starting off with "the best burger in Estes Park" at Penelope's Old Time Burgers. Um, yeah...no false advertising there! It was delicious! We did some shopping after that just to walk it off! :) After we'd explored every store we piled back into Hurley (their golden yellow '77 VW Campmobile that I'm completely in love with!) and took off for Bear Lake in the Rocky Mountain National Forrest. It was a gorgeous, sunny day with a great breeze...so we had the windows open, oldschool Michael Jackson playing full blast and we were singing at the top of our lungs the whole way there. :)
We hiked just a little bit up to Bear Lake and then on around to Nymph Lake. Nymph lake had tons of lily pads that were just starting to bloom...it was beautiful! We walked halfway around the lake...just trying to get as close to a bloom as we could. Ran into a bunch of people from Iowa (we didn't know them, but somehow overheard conversation that they were from there and got excited :)), took a bunch of pictures and headed back down to the car as it started to sprinkle.
We ate a quick dinner before heading home to change into warmer clothes (I love the cool evenings up in the mountains!). Next stop....Rooftop Rodeo!!! I love rodeos. Love them! I love every element...but of course, the bull riding is my favorite (although it's a close second to the mutton racing!). I love all the cowboy boots, hats, plaid shirts, country music....I can't think of anything about it that I don't enjoy! I'm pretty sure this rodeo beat out all others because besides the actual event, the view was spectacular. It was perfect weather for it and just an all around fantastic night. I still get giddy just thinking about it! :)
It was back to the house after it was all over...and time for pj's, hot cocoa and The Holiday (it was playing on tv and Lisa's dad had never seen it...and well, let's be honest, I'd watch it over and over again anyhow :)). Lisa & I stayed up late talking again. I can't believe how fast the day went and that I was flying home the next day already. Boo.Sunday we went to church in Estes and enjoyed lunch with some of Lisa's parent's friends. Lisa and I made 2 more quick stops - the first to a store for a sweatshirt (my Estes Park sweatshirt I bought last year is my favorite...I almost wore it to threads last year) and the second to get a small stash of saltwater taffy for the road. After that, it was time to pack up the car and head down the mountain to the airport. :-( It was yet another gorgeous Colorado day and there were fly-fishermen in the river along the road the whole way down. I wish I would have captured a few on camera...it was so picturesque.
So while I should say I'm glad to be home...I think the weekend was just too short and I could have used a few more days. A few more days in the mountains, a few more days with Lisa and her family, a few more days of trees, lakes and quaint little shops. Oh but don't worry...I'll be back.

No comments:
Post a Comment