5.14.2009

What defines you?

I think this is an interesting question that everyone should ask themselves every once in a while. I was thinking about this the other day as I was talking with a friend and they mentioned I should meet so-and-so because they're also "a creative". I don't know why, but when people use that phrase with me, I'm immediately put off. Call me crazy, but I don't like to be categorized or put in a certain "type" of people. Maybe I like my individuality too much, but I think it's also the fact that what I do for a living does not define me...never has. I am grateful to do what I do, and I don't belittle the fact that God gifts people in certain areas and that it is not out of my own capabilities that I design - but certainly a gift from Him. However, if you took that ability away from me tomorrow, I'd still be who I am, because it's not what defines me. So, what DOES define someone? I believe your character defines you - all of it - the good, bad and ugly. If you had no job, no money, heck...if you had no limbs...what is left of you? Hopefully everything that was there to begin with. Your heart, your mind, your character. On the not-so-attractive side, I can think of qualities that are a part of me that I'd like to "edit" or "delete" sometimes. I'm not very patient, I am not as compassionate as I'd like to be, I can be incredibly selfish and that's probably barely making a dent in all the areas that need refining. Granted, I don't think any one of those items is what ultimately "defines" me - but it's part of the collective whole that makes me who I am. I believe what defines me is that I'm a child of God - which I hope is the main thing that shines through in my character. I was not created for my own selfish pursuits, but for His purposes and His will for my life. I wish I could say that I am fully aware of all that entails, but I think I only have a small glimpse and am still leaning on Him and learning as I go.

Anyhow, I have a lot more thoughts jumbling around in my head about this, but really, my main point is this: don't strive so hard to strengthen your abilities, but rather, your character. What you are capable of and what you can accomplish can be taken away from you in a blink of an eye, but your character is what shines through in the good days and the bad.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...