Last night I ran a few errands and while checking out at one of the stores, was asked if I wanted to give a donation to a charitable organization. I said yes and told her how much - which, honestly, was just a small token, and the sales lady responded with a surprised look and said, "Thank you! That is so generous of you! That's the largest donation I think we've received." I'll be honest, even though I was happy to be able to give, that broke my heart. I know that the economy is bad and that times are hard, but we still remain a very fortunate and blessed people. Even beyond that is the principle of the matter - that it is much better to give than to receive. I will say that rather than walking out of that store, proud that I had given, I walked away very convicted of how little I have given for as much as I have received. There is a lot that I need to do to change that, but there is one small way, among many others, that we can all help...I don't know about a lot of you, but I don't carry around cash pretty much ever. This normally isn't an issue, but I become very aware of the lack of paper & coins in my purse around this time every year as I walk in and out of stores and hear the soft chiming of a bell as I'm greeted by a Salvation Army volunteer, bundled up in the cold and giving their time for the sake of others. So, I want to put a challenge out to both myself and the rest of you (and please, pass this on), to take some time, run to the bank, and get a stack of dollar bills...however many you can give. Tuck them in your coat pocket or keep them in your purse, but just remember that even in the midst of hard times, we all have a lot to be grateful for and many others are in greater need. It's a very small token, but it stretches a long way.

2 comments:
I agree Trish!
alot of our bell stations have have debit card swipes this year,lol!! Its so easy to cleave on to what we have but it is all "HIS"....
Post a Comment