I'll be honest, I'm not excited about being back. I feel like I left a bit of my heart in Colorado and it's waiting for me to come back and get it. I know it's not time for me to go quite yet, but I'll tell ya - it's a huge test of my patience to stay here for the time being. Not only that, but I firmly believe in finishing well, so in every way I need to really BE here so that I'm not just passing time but accomplishing what I need to for the remainder of my time here.It was difficult for me to leave for many reasons.
First, Colorado reminded me a lot of Iowa. Lisa's parents live in Greeley and it's a small town with rolling hills, corn fields, cows grazing and just an overall "fresh air" smell that takes me back to all my years growing up in Iowa. I don't care what anyone says, I love that state. There's something so simple and refreshing about Iowa that no one can really understand unless they grew up there. I think having grandparents that lived on farms makes it even sweeter - building forts with hay bales, snowmobiling through the fields, 4-wheeling, cooking with grandma, helping with harvest (I sprayed the beans once :)), bottle feeding sheep and the list goes on. Anyway, all that to say - I love Iowa and because Colorado has similarities, it made me feel like I was at home.
Secondly, I haven't seen Lisa in 3 years. We lived together through more than half of college and have had many trips together through the years (with hopefully many more to come). We know the good, the bad and the ugly of each other - and although as we get older we become more ourselves and less alike, we will always have an amazing bond. Again, that familiarity of someone that truly knows and understands me made it hard to say goodbye.
Third, the city and the mountains. I really can't decide what I am - a city girl or a country girl. Honestly, I think I could just about go either way. I loved downtown Denver with all the culture (I'm not sure if the massive REI store counts as culture, but it was my favorite part!), quaint shops, historic buildings, baseball, beautiful parks with people biking, walking and swimming - and public transportation (I'm a big fan). Then, in the distance - the mountains. I loved that here you are in the heart of a city, but skiing, camping, hiking, mountain biking, and a quiet escape are just a short drive away. If I weren't such a people person, I'd find myself a little cabin in the woods with internet (necessary for my job) and work from home. Maybe someday.
But for now, I'm here and I intend to embrace it and not be resentful. I am grateful for a great job and a state full of its own beauty - and being close to family. Someday I will miss that, so I plan on many short weekends to my parents between now and moving day - and of course, training for the triathlon. I'm here for a reason and I need to make sure I don't forget that. Tomorrow always comes faster than you expect, so embrace today.
For now, enjoy the pictures of my trip - I will fill you in on all the details soon!

5 comments:
Hey friend! Glad you had a blast. The pics are so much fun. It truly is beautiful out there! :)
Glad you enjoyed your trip. FYI. If you go to Starbuck's on Tuesdays, they have a free song you can download on I-Tunes. I just downloaded Dream by Priscilla Ahn. It's good. P.S. Greely is a great place!
i spent 4th of july in greeley 6 years ago...we went to the parade and then chilis for lunch...then i had a mystery shop at the hallmark in there lil mall,lol
That shot with the fake toenail is disgusting!! haha!
man the time we had was legen.... wait for it... dary!!!
Post a Comment