3.02.2008
Pay It Forward
Tonight I made a quick stop at Walmart on my way home from the theater (I saw Penelope - totally cute movie!) to grab a few items I was needing. I didn't even grab a cart or basket (although I regretted that choice...which is typically the case. I never seem to learn.) thinking I had a short list and would be in and out. Even still, when it was time to check out, I had about 8 items in my hands. Of course, even at 7:30 on a Sunday night, Walmart was busy and all the lanes were full. I did the quick "browse" of the lanes and took the closest and shortest one I could find. The lady in front of me had a cart (not a "buggy" as people in the south like to refer to them) full of items, but honestly, I didn't mind. I wasn't in a hurry whatsoever, and although my hands were full, none of the items were heavy or awkward, so I was satisfied just browsing the magazine headings and waiting my turn. Just as the lady in front of me was about to check out, she turned to me and said, "Go in front of me." I said, "Oh! No, no, no, I'm totally fine waiting. Thank you though!" but she insisted, "No, look at you, I have a several items and you don't need to wait for me." At this point I debated on whether to keep insisting she goes ahead of me or just politely thanking her and accepting her offer. I went with the latter and quickly paid for my items. I turned around before I left and said, "Thank you again! That was so sweet of you." She said, "Oh, no problem! Just return the favor to someone else." I assured her that I would. So, I'll be paying it forward, but thought I'd encourage you to do the same!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
this reminds me of the time i was at bass pro with my 25 dollar giftcard i had won,lol...after i was done paying for my items(no fishing lure just snacks,lol) i had 3 cents left on my giftcard and i gave it to the lady behind.....who was freaked out and excited all at the same time....i told her to pay it forward....and the cashier and me and the lady all had a good laugh
Great idea Trish! I laughed however at the "buggy" thing...that used to drive me CRAZY when we lived in North Carolina!! It was ridiculous how many people called them that...I was thrilled when I went to the first grocery store in Minnesota and someone asked me if I wanted a CART!!! I had lots of things like that while I lived in the South...funny how you prefer silly words over others!
Post a Comment