2.12.2008

A Few of My Favorite Things

People say all the time that it is good for you to read so that your mind stays young. I agree and along with that believe that it is good for you to continually learn something new to keep your mind sharp. Okay, so that being said, I didn't read anything to learn about what I'm going to share with you today, but regardless, I searched & discovered, and for that alone I think I deserve a bit of a brain upgrade. :) Today I thought I'd share a few things that I have discovered recently (or have long been a fan of) that I love. Some of these things may be new, some may be old and therefore I may be a little bit ahead and also a little bit behind. But regardless, I'm catching up!

Google Reader - This has been a time-saver for me. I honestly heard about it forever ago, but didn't really understand what it was or the purpose for it, but now I'm a fan! With Google Reader I'm able to "subscribe" to everyone's blogs, and rather than jump from one to the next to see if anyone has an update, I can just click on my Google Reader and it will automatically tell me which blogs have been updated. On top of that, it automatically checks it off when I've read the entry! I love anything automated (aside from costumer service...ohhh, that would be for a blog of 10 pet peeves) or that simplifies my life, so this has been fantastic.

DVR - Okay, this one is not "new" of course, but new to me personally, so I had to add it. After years of cable, I'm finally a DirectTV subscriber and was so excited to finally get DVR! I've never been one to sit at home and miss out on life just to see something on TV, but I love that I can actually follow any kind of series (a.k.a. LOST!) at my own convenience (and without watching it on the tiny screen online).

Last.fm - There are several different sites similar to this (rhapsody or pandora), but I'm a new fan of Last.fm. I love this site (or actually, application, since you can download it and run it just like iTunes) because it not only finds "similar music" to any artist/song you type in, but it actually collects all the music on your iTunes (which for me, right now, is over 4,000 songs) and creates preferences for you based on your music choices. I'm always a fan of finding new music (pretty much a daily activity for me), so anything that makes this easier for me is definitely a hit on my list! I'm noticing a theme here so far - making my life simpler :).

Redbox & The New Release - I've been a fan of these boxes at Publix, Harris Teeter & McDonald's for a while now (I mean, new release DVDs for just $1? Who wouldn't be a fan?!), but thanks to Stacey, I've now discovered that you can save time and travel by going online and reserving your dvd before you drive over to the local grocery only to discover it's already checked out!

Kilz - This is something that I don't think I've ever shared online, but it's long overdue. I have painted many many many walls in my lifetime (and I know there will be more to paint!), so people ask me quite often what paint I recommend. Hands-down, Kilz. Two main reasons: #1 - It's a guaranteed one-coat paint, and RARELY have I had to use 2 coats. It has happened, but not very often. It coats well, comes in a variety of finishes and is $20.88/gallon at walmart. I choose my swatches at Lowes or Home Depot and then have them color match it on their machine at walmart. I would say that 99% of the time it works. The ONLY color I've ever had a problem with is light greens...for some reason the color match is never exactly right (and I'm pretty anal when it comes to color). #2 (and most importantly) - It comes in a square, plastic container with a screw-top lid (that works great as a paint bowl for touch-ups) and a pour spout. Easy for pouring as it is for storing. I swear that should be their slogan!

Sweet Dreams Cookie Company - My hands-down favorite cookies. Mmmm! I rarely partake, but man, if I was one of those people with a killer metabolism and could eat whatever I wanted, I'd be eating these cookies daily! My personal favorite is their glazed sugar cookies. And just to give you an example of how much of a "treat" this place is to me, before today, the last time I had a cookie there was last Easter. I remember, because it was bunny shaped. Today I went there with the girls from work and had a giant heart sugar cookie. Mmmmmmm!!!

Marimekko - Just cool, modern stuff. I'm not an ultra-modern kinda girl, but I like a bit here & there. Even still, I have a great appreciation for pattern & color, so for that reason alone, I enjoy this store.

Expressionary - Just CUTE stuff! Sadly, it's not very often that I need stationary anymore (aside from notecards), but I still love to buy it for those chances that I can use it.

See Jane Work - one of my favorite office/home organization stores. Have loved this for a long time, even though I've never actually purchased anything from them.

Well, there you have it! Just a few things that I'm loving right now! Happy Valentine's Day!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I learn so much from Trish! Just by reading this blog I reserved a copy of "No Reservations" at the local Redbox located in McDonald's and purchase some totally cute new stationary from Expressionary, b/c they were having a 30% off sale. Rock on! Keep letting us know all of your fun secrets :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...