Do you ever stop to think how drastically different those two simple words are? Yet we often use them interchangably as if they are one and the same. "I really want to get into shape" (which maybe should be need? :)) or "I really need a new pair of shoes" (which is absolutely true...orrr not. Dang it.). Do you ever stop to think how different your wants and needs are? I'll be honest, just thinking about it right now makes me pretty ashamed. I really should want for nothing because I have more than I will ever need. Frankly, if I'm really honest, I should go home right now and start sorting through all my "stuff" and get rid of the excess...of which I'm sure there is more than I would even care to admit or acknowledge.
What if we lived a life that consisted only of what we needed and nothing more? Can you even imagine what that would look like? Would you be content? Would you see the value in what you had or would you always be waiting for something more?
I don't know. I know how I would like to answer that question, but I honestly don't know. I'm going to sit on that for a while.
What I do know is that I live a blessed life...and I would say it's safe to guess that most of you do too. You may make less money than your neighbor or have a car that doesn't start sometimes, but do you have a roof over your head? Are you warm when it's cold outside? Do you have food when you're hungry? When you think of those things, it's crazy to think that you have the resources to even own a car! That's pretty incredible. You have electricity, running water and a roof over your head...and that only begins to scratch the surface of how blessed you really are.
What would happen if every person took all of their excess (and I don't mean excess that they no longer want...I'm talking everything beyond what they need) and gave it away to someone that actually needed it? Kinda hurts my brain to even think how something so simple could completely transform the world, but even more than that...it ignites my heart.
Just something to think about...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Have you been reading Radical? I'm telling you that book has been kicking my butt and getting me to ask similar questions. Good thoughts, Trish.
Post a Comment