For the past 5 weeks I've been a part of a women's Bible study on the book of Jonah, and let me just tell you...it's kicking my butt.
The book is based on the story of Jonah, but more importantly it's about "Navigating a Life Interrupted"...and who doesn't relate to that?! It has been full of some much juicy-God-goodness that I feel like I need a bigger sponge to soak it all up. Tonight we discussed many different topics, but two in particular really stuck with me.
The first: Wildest Dreams
The question Priscilla poses is this: In your wildest dreams, what would God accomplish in this situation?
Just stop and really think about that for a second. or two. or come back in an hour and see if you have an answer. I'll still be here trying to figure out mine.
We discussed it for a while because it's almost a question that kinda messes with your head a bit. I mean, I can think of a lot of dreams, but if I'm really honest they all share the same main character - ME - and therefore seem incredibly selfish and ridiculous - and not worth dreaming. On top of that is the fact that my track record with God has been such that whatever I was dreaming about was not even close to the greatness God had in store. That's not to say that God's plans were "grandios" in the world's eyes - just a much better path than what I would have been completely satisfied with travelling. So I stop to imagine what I would dream, and in the end my dream becomes "whatever plans you have for me, God." I don't say this because I am someone that walks in perfect communion with God...good gracious, I wish! I say that because I know anything that I could possibly dream or imagine would be completely worthless if it was not within God's plan for my life. God's ways are SO much better than mine...always!
That said, I still believe God wants us to dream big dreams! A few weeks ago in the study, Priscilla said something that's really stuck with me. When you're walking with God, his plans become your plans, his desires - your desires, his dreams - your dreams. It's crazy when you think about the fact that the great big dream that you are dreaming is actually the one God put there! Again...totally messes with my head, but in an amazing sort of way :). Just remember that God works in mysterious ways and because of that, always leave room for Him to move in an unexpected way. You may dream of seeing the world on a cruise ship or by staying in 5-star hotels. God may answer that dream, but maybe it's through a ministry or organization that works with the poor and needy. Your dream may look different than you imagined, but trust me - it will be better than if you could have it your way :).
The second topic is a passage in Job that Priscilla references when talking about Jonah's anger and sulking at God. I'd never heard this passage read from The Message before...and let me just say that if I were having this conversation face-to-face with God, I'm pretty sure I'd hang my head in shame and quietly dismiss myself to spend a little time-out in the corner.
Where were you when I created the earth?
Tell me, since you know so much!
Who decided on its size? Certainly you'll know that!
Who came up with the blueprints and measurements?
How was its foundation poured,
and who set the cornerstone,
While the morning stars sang in chorus
and all the angels shouted praise?
And who took charge of the ocean
when it gushed forth like a baby from the womb?
That was me! I wrapped it in soft clouds,
and tucked it in safely at night.
Then I made a playpen for it,
a strong playpen so it couldn't run loose,
And said, 'Stay here, this is your place.
Your wild tantrums are confined to this place.'
"And have you ever ordered Morning, 'Get up!'
told Dawn, 'Get to work!'
So you could seize Earth like a blanket
and shake out the wicked like cockroaches?
As the sun brings everything to light,
brings out all the colors and shapes,
The cover of darkness is snatched from the wicked—
they're caught in the very act!
"Have you ever gotten to the true bottom of things,
explored the labyrinthine caves of deep ocean?
Do you know the first thing about death?
Do you have one clue regarding death's dark mysteries?
And do you have any idea how large this earth is?
Speak up if you have even the beginning of an answer.
Why do we even question God? I mean, really, I read that and I just want to immediately apologize for how ridiculous I've been. God is pretty detail-oriented. Pretty sure if he can tell the morning when to rise then he can most certainly take care of every detail of my future without me needing to whine, beg or complain to remind him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Thanks for sharing this, Trish! It's messing with my mind too. I had the same thoughts about my wildest dreams- they were all about me, me, me. But when I start thinking beyond that and beyond myself, I get overwhelmed by my audacity and think "that's too much!" Really, though, nothing is impossible with God. Let's dream away!
Post a Comment