4.16.2010

Love Languages...Beyond the 5

I'm a thinker. Even if I'm not saying something (yeah, yeah, yeah, feel free to laugh! :)), my mind is still having an entire conversation of thoughts. If I told you half of the "trains of thought" that run through my mind in a day...you'd either be amazed or think I'm crazy. I'm sure most people go with the latter...but that's the kind of people I like to surround myself with anyway :).

"So what does that have to do with love languages?" you might ask. Well...I was thinking about them today. I mean, according to the 5 love languages, mine are definitely words of affirmation followed by quality time, but then I started thinking about the little things that are so minor and seemingly insignificant, but yet say so much. This may seem like a strange rabbit trail...but just follow me for a second.

I hate spiders. Recently I decided that spiders and millipedes must be BFFs because they're both completely gross, and oddly enough, as much as I despise them, I can't kill them! It's not because I'm a softy and just can't bring myself to kill something...uh, no. It's because I'm so grossed out by them that even if I take a shoe and kill it and it's still somewhat alive and squirming...I want to run away and curl into the fetal position, rock back-n-forth and suck my thumb. I have such an amazing roommate, that if I kill something (which ONLY happens if it's in the house because I'm more terrified of it hiding in my stuff than the whole killing process)...I just leave the shoe on top of it and never peek...and she just knows that if there's a shoe in the middle of the living room floor...there's a dead insect underneath. She always "disposes" of it for me...it's really a perfect partnership. I think someone volunteering to kill or clean up insects for me is definitely a love language! At least I'm giving it major points! :)

(and just so you know...I rarely have spiders in my house...and never millipedes...but they taunt me in the garage sometimes. I've been in a battle with a millipede this week. I've tried to kill it 4 times and have failed miserably. He just has SO MANY LEGS! Ew.)

*gag* Moving on.

I love salads, but it's rare that I order them when I'm out to eat. Yes, partly because sometimes a salad is one of the worst items on the menu calorie-wise, but mostly because it is so frustrating when I get the salad and then have to spend the next 15 minutes cutting it into edible-size pieces. Now, this has never actually happened, but I would definitely feel the love if someone took the time to make me a salad in perfect little bite-size pieces. I might have a hard time eating it because I just wouldn't be able to stop smiling! Someday...someday... :)

I have this theory that certain things taste better if someone else makes them for you...more specifically, pancakes. I love pancakes, but I'm telling you, there's magic in waking up to the smell of them being prepared and being handed a hot plate with homemade syrup. I'm adding "making pancakes" to my list of love languages. :)

So, really, I'm sure "acts of service" is what all of this is categorized under, but it just doesn't mean as much to me if you clean the bathroom as it does if you make me pancakes (not that I wouldn't hugely appreciate that as well!). And for the record, I look forward to making someone salads and pancakes someday too!

But they're on their own with the spiders.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...