2.12.2010

My Thoughts.

So, this weekend is either the most loved or hated holiday weekend of the year. Well...I'm not exactly sure that's accurate. I can't say I necessarily love Valentine's day, but I definitely don't hate it. I mean, having gone a total of 30 years without flowers, chocolate or a date doesn't put it in my list of "favorite holidays", BUT that doesn't mean I wear black, use a baseball bat to beat a heart-shaped pinata with the words "I hate Vday" written on it, or lock myself indoors and watch Lifetime until I have no tears left to cry. It has been a holiday celebrated with friends, because after all - they are very much some of the people that I love...and ultimately LOVE is what Valentine's day is all about, right? Back in junior high and high school, I often had slumber parties and we would eat junk food, watch Girls Just Wanna Have Fun and make homemade face masks out of oatmeal and avocados. In college we had hilarious parties that included exchanging the worst valentine's gifts you could find, pin the kiss on whatever male celebrity poster we had (I think one year it was even Ronald Reagan! Ha!) and...of course, lots of chocolate. There have been game nights with all red food, movie nights to see the latest sappy chic flick, roadtrips, brunches, and, without fail, the ever present staple....chocolate. :)

Oh, don't get me wrong, I look forward to the day where someone makes my heart melt, my knees weak, and my cheeks hurt from smiling and laughing, but one thing I've learned over the years is that until you embrace where you are and enjoy living in the moment, you'll miss some of the greatest memories that life has to offer. The grass will always be greener on the other side...that is, until you stop looking across the fence and enjoy the view from where you're standing...

...and the chocolate :)

Happy Valentine's Day!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Aaaah, Ronald Reagan! I remember! Chip and I are going to a roller derby for our Valentine's day celebration. Fun huh?

Erin said...

Loved this post! Love your attitude. You are such an awesome gal!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...