
Okay, so here's the thing. Qdoba makes this burrito called the "Queso burrito" that is first and foremost, delicious, but more importantly, incredibly unhealthy :). When I have it on special occasions...I order it "naked" (no tortilla) and eat it with chips - kinda like nachos. The problem is, I crave that tasty combination of chicken, black beans, corn, jalepenos, tomatoes and cheese. So, my fix? Create something similar, cheaper and healthier.
I started with a basic southwestern chicken crockpot recipe. You throw in 2 cans of (drained) corn, 1 can of (drained & rinsed) black beans, jalepenos (quantity based on preference) and 1/2 c. salsa. Mix it together, toss on 4-6 chicken breasts (depending on size), cover with remainder of the 16oz. jar of salsa, throw in a few more jalepeno slices if desired, and let it cook on low for 6-8 hours. Now, that in itself would probably be a pretty tasty dish, but I wanted a little bit more oomph to it. When I got home, I took a couple of forks, shreddded the chicken, added in 1/2c. lowfat shredded cheddar cheese, half a pack of taco seasoning, some chopped, fresh cilantro and one tomato, diced. Mix well and mmmmboy, now we're talking! Before serving, sprinkle with a little more cheese and top with a dallop of lowfat sour cream - viola! I eat it with baked scoops and it most definitely satisfies my qdoba craving in a MUCH healthier way!


1 comment:
Sounds great, Trish! I'm definitely gonna have to try this one. I love QDoba but you are right. Their stuff is packed with calories and fat!
Post a Comment