4.30.2009

Hobby=$$$

You know, people always talk about how good it is to have a creative "outlet", find a hobby, learn a new skill or activity...but the thing that we forget is that pretty generally, hobbies are expensive!! Sometimes it's just an upfront cost that lasts for a long time, but sometimes it's an ongoing cost that requires a whole new "line-item" in the budget. I'm naming my line-item "camera love".

I purchased my new camera about a month ago...if even that, and now I find myself spending hours online researching lenses, lighting equipment, etc. - all to get the perfect picture of a cupcake. I feel silly even saying that - because most people want to capture the perfect landscape, portrait or action shot...and I like taking pictures of food. To be honest, I'm even a little embarrassed about it, but I'm pretty sure the secret is out, so there's not point in trying to cover it up now. I love the lens that I purchased to begin with - it was reasonably priced and takes a great shot with a nice "bokeh" effect that I was hoping for. I was talking to a friend of mine that owns the same camera, and he mentioned a 35mm 1.4 lens that sounded even more magical...so I couldn't wait to go home and look for a deal on it. Yeaaaaaah....it retails for around $1300. Yep, that's right one-thousand three hundred dollars! I found it on sale for $986, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to freelance my butt off to ever justify spending that. But ohhh...it takes such beautiful pictures.

Someday...

3 comments:

the hoops said...

what camera did you decided to get?

Trish said...

Canon Rebel XTi

the hoops said...

nice looks like you are really enjoying it! did you get any lenses with it?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...