4.23.2009
Bumps
I just got through having quite the intense conversation with an acquaintance of mine. Let me just start by saying I hate having intense conversations. I hate feeling like I'm debating with someone over something - mostly because there are some things that I feel strongly about and can understand how the other person would feel strongly about it themselves - so I don't see the point in wasting words trying to change their mind. I've never found that people's minds can be changed by debating/arguing over something. I guess that's where I feel that actions speak louder than words most often. Basically, without going into detail, this person needs lots of silence and space when they get angry...I'm talking days, weeks. I, first off, don't like being angry, so I try to avoid that at all costs, and second, do not need space after an argument. I can't understand how anyone likes leaving that big, heavy, ugly thing hanging in the air. I also understand that not everyone functions the same way that I do - so just because it works for me doesn't mean it works for everyone else. Anyhow, the conversation led into something to the effect of me needing to learn that not all relationships function that way, etc., etc., but while that may be true, in all my years and all my relationships (the first being less than the second), the one thing I've learned is that while yes, you may need to take a step back, take a breather, and not address a situation in the heat of the moment, the best way to resolve a conflict is to talk it out...even if in the end you still agree to disagree...just come to a peaceful agreement in a way that you can forgive each other and allow this to be a "bump" rather than a huge "road block". My history has been (although very very rarely) that the relationships that can't deal with the bumps but rather find themselves constantly running into roadblocks...those relationship probably need to go their separate ways and find alternate routes...even if that's hard. That was the FIRST half of the conversation, the SECOND was something along the lines of the person being shocked (and I'm still not sure if it was sarcastic even) that I am so confidently content with my life. Granted, I know it's not perfect, I would be the first to admit that, but it's more than I could have hoped for - and that's NOT to say that I had low hopes or expectations! I most definitely did not! Things are going different directions than I had expected - or even wanted - but as cliche to some as it may sound...when you are where God wants you to be, there's no better place to be, period. I know I am where I need to be, and I can't even put into words the anticipation and excitement I feel about all that is in store for the next 12 months of my life. Again, it won't be perfect, but I intend to do my part to make the most of every bit of it, and I know God's got the rest all under control :). Besides, from my own personal perspective of my life - I'd like to think it seems pretty obvious that I live it the fullest, but then again, most things are all about perspective and someone else may not see it the same way I do or may not want to live life the way I live it. I figure in this case, as long as I'm content, happy, joyful, and confident of where God has me...then my perspective is really the only one that counts. No complaints here! I am curious, however...what others' perspectives are on the whole "space" issue. I would love to hear your thoughts on the way you handle disagreements/conflict/etc.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
i cannot stand to not deal with things immediatly....i cannot pretend with the elephant in the room!
Thank you!! I am exactly the same way! Plus, I live by the rule of thumb that communication is key in any relationship. Granted, you can't talk a person to death...you've got to respect that some people would get exhausted by that, but silence never solves anything (at least that's my opinion). There is balance to be found in everything...
Post a Comment