10.02.2008
Growing Down?
I know this has got to sound ridiculous, but it's a thought I had yesterday while talking to myself in the mirror while getting ready for work as I do every day. When did I cave into the idea that I have to "grow up", and honestly, what does that even mean? Don't get me wrong, I haven't fully given in and am still fighting it (and will continue!), but somewhere as the years have gone on, I've given into this idea that I need to make a certain amount of money, live a certain lifestyle and even dress a certain way. The worst part is that I don't even think I realized I was doing it. I mean, it's the natural course of life, right? Graduate college, get your first job, get your first apartment, work toward a raise, move into a nicer apartment - maybe rent a home, get a promotion, buy your first house, remodel that house, sell that house, build a house...blah, blah, blah. I think it's all overrated. I make a good living, own a nice home, drive a nice car and would be happy to give it all away. Granted, there is some security in those things - knowing that I have a steady paycheck, great insurance, paid vacation/sick time which allows me to pay my bills and not stress over them - but I wonder how much "security" keeps us from taking risks in life. I think about the lady that started her own cupcake business. Sure she's got stress - will it survive, will people like her cupcakes, will she make her rent, etc., BUT she's living out her dream, risk & all...and I hope for her sake, that it takes off, thrives and that she realizes that the thing she loves doing the most - she is now getting paid to do. I just wonder how many of us give up on our dreams for security? How many of us don't take risks because the chance of failure seems too much to risk for the chance we might succeed? I'll be honest, I'm realizing more & more that I'm not a risk-taker. I'm ashamed to admit it because I want to wear the tshirt that says I am (in fact, I want to design the tshirt first, then wear it :)). The reality is, I take safe-risks. I take the risks that come with pamphlet telling me that "no one has ever died doing this". The greater risks in life don't come with statistics, pamphlets or any kind of money-back guarantee. Those are the risks where you hear God say jump, and although you're on the edge of the cliff and can't see what is below, you trust Him and you jump because you know He always wants what is best for you. You walk in faith, you trust his timing, you pray a LOT and you listen to his voice and follow his lead. Then you think - is that really so risky? Nah, it's not. It's just a little thing we call faith. I'd like to wear the tshirt that says I've got faith (and I would have to design that because I'm pretty sure if there are some available...they're BAD), but right now I'm sportin' the tshirt that says, "I'm a work in progress" and maybe instead of "growing down", I'm just "growing steady", but ultimately all that really matters is that I'm still growing. I'll keep you posted on how that goes... :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You've been tagged! Check out my site to get the rules! It's a fairly decent one this time!;-)
Post a Comment