Haha...okay, it wasn't THAT bad, I just thought that was a great post title :).
Today has been a GORGEOUS day. 65, sunny, perfect breeze...absolutely beautiful. I met one of my friends for an early lunch at Dumplin's (one of my favorite downtown cafes) before heading to the Natchez Trace Parkway for an afternoon of hiking. Last night we had talked over what trail we wanted to hike and had gotten a general idea of how to get there. We got a bit lost trying to find it, but once we did, we strapped on our water bottles and took off. For the first 3-4 miles, it was beautiful and fun - and pleasantly challenging too (I mean, it is hiking...you don't want to just walk on a flat trail). After the 4th mile, I began to wonder if we were really still "on course". The trails were not well marked, so it was hard to tell if you were where you intended to be, but on the other hand, there were not many other forks-in-the-road or various trail options that made you think you may have missed your turn. So, we would talk about it periodically, but optimistically hoped that we were still heading in the right direction and would come out at the end right back where we started. Haha...yeah...notsomuch. We came out, 7+ miles later, to a clearing with a sign that said the only way back to our cars was to just re-hike back the way we came. We both looked at each other and said - no way. At this point, hitch-hiking seemed like the best option, but don't worry, I didn't give in. :) I was still optimistic that we were not THAT far off and if we just walked out to the main road, we could head back to the entrance of the trail that way. So, we started walking on the side of the road...and walking...and walking....and waaaaaalllking. Thankfully neither one of us are slow walkers (otherwise we STILL might be out there), but I will say that those were the longest 4 miles I've ever walked...mostly because by this point I had 32oz. of water to drink and was desperately ready for a pit-stop! So, all that to say, 3 hours and almost 11 miles later...we arrived at the car. We jumped, we cried, we hugged, we kissed the hood of the car and sang the hallelujah chorus. Okay, not really. I took off my shoes and socks and fell into the car. So, it was a great hike, just a little longer and more confusing than we originally intended. Now I want to go get a pedicure - which sounds absolutely prissy, but seriously, who doesn't love a great foot massage - and to me, that sounds like the perfect end to a perfectly crazy day :).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment