1.03.2008

Finally...the Cruise!


Okay, I'm finally ready to dive into the details of my Christmas and show you some pictures! Click here to see the whole album. I'll just start from the beginning...

Sunday: I woke up with a sinus infection (I know, is that a joke or what? EVERY vacation!), so we spent our morning trying to find a CVS Minute Clinic so I could just get some antibiotics and be done with it. That was easier said than done. Every "minute clinic" we were directed to either didn't exist or wasn't open. So, frustrated and running out of time, I just talked with a pharmacist and she recommended some mucinex and we were on our way. We boarded the ship at 1:00pm, ate lunch and enjoyed exploring every aspect of the ship. We had our first dinner in the dining room with our waiter & assistant waitress, Jason & Yves. The food was, of course, nothing short of incredible. We went to the "Welcome Aboard" show after dinner and then crashed somewhere around midnight (pretty much the case most evenings).

Monday: This was our first day at sea. To be honest, a lot of the week is a blur to me now, so all I recall doing is sleeping late, laying around the pool, playing cards, watching movies and then getting dressed up for our first formal night with another show in the theater following our meal as well as an amazing cover band in one of the lounges that we really enjoyed. The weather was absolutely gorgeous - bright, sunny & clear with a perfect ocean breeze and crystal blue waters surrounding us for miles.

Tuesday: CHRISTMAS DAY! We were in Belize for Christmas Day, which was a lot of fun! There were island bands playing their version of Christmas music and everyone greeting each other with a "Merry Christmas!". Nathan was one of the first off of the ship (we tendered in Belize) since he was diving (he dove on all of our ports), and we were off a little while later and spent our time shopping before heading back to the ship for a late lunch and swimming. We had a Holiday Spectacular show after dinner as well as a beautiful Christmas Gala midnight buffet (I could only enjoy looking at the food, I was still so full from dinner!) before the day was over.

Wednesday: Originally this would have been our day in Costa Maya, but due to hurricanes damaging the island this summer, we weren't able to stop there and had an extra day at sea and ship credit because of it. Our rooms were incredibly comfortable - I slept like a baby between the ultra-comfy bed and subtle rocking of the ship. Ahhhh...I love cruising! Another day spent exploring the ship, laying by the pool (mom & dad screaming down the mega water slide! Haha!), shopping onboard and watching Hotrod (Nathan & I watched it in the car on the way up and wanted Bryce to see it, so we watched it again. I LOVE it!). We also enjoyed an afternoon nap every day we had at sea, which is a treat I rarely partake of, so it felt amazing.

Thursday: This was one of my favorite days on the cruise. We were in Cozumel and booked an ATV excursion. While we were waiting to begin our excursion Bryce & I did some shopping near the port and found the perfect gift for his girlfriend before heading into the jungle. We took a van to a "remote" location and got on our ATVs. We took a long, bumpy, rocky, dirty and SUPER fun trail through the jungle - with a few Mayan ruin stops (one was a cave) and I loved, loved, loved every minute of it! After ATVing, we got back in the van and they took us to a beach where we snorkeled and saw a yellow stingray, octopus, starfish, some wreckage and lots of other sea creatures. When we were finished snorkeling Bryce & I laid out on this huge bed on the beach - it was AMAZING - right out of a movie! We got free drinks, so dad got a couple strawberry pina colada's for us and we laid there, soaking up the sun and enjoying our tropical drinks...not wanting to ever leave. It was time to go around 2:30, so we headed downtown and shopped some more before it was time to get back on the ship.

Friday: This was our final port - Grand Cayman. We decided not to book an excursion and just to wait and see what was available once we got off the ship. One of the best choices we made! We were able to find a local selling excursions for $40 (same thing that was $99 on the ship...and actually, we did even more than the one the ship offered). We were taken on a bus to a very nice boat that took us about 20-25 minutes away from the island into the middle of the ocean to Stingray City - a sandbar in the middle of the ocean (no land in sight) where there are just hundreds and hundreds of giant stingray. We got to hold them (I thought they were so cute!), have our pictures taken with them, and then feed them! They don't have teeth - just a super sucking force, so it was an interesting feeling when they sucked the squid out of your hand! The guide told us to be careful not to get the squid anywhere on our bodies, because the stingray have a very strong sense of smell and will suck on you and give you a big hickey! Haha! I did have one chase me, which I thought was hilarious, but they were not scary at all. They are used to people and as long as you are careful and don't scare them, they're happy to hang with you! So, after enjoying our time with the stingrays, we got back on the boat where they then took us to the reef for some snorkeling. Again, incredible. We saw more stingray, squirrel fish and tons of other sea creatures I don't even know. We got back on the boat once again and they took us to yet another snorkeling spot that was just covered with hundreds of giant starfish of every shape, size and color! It was beautiful! After thoroughly enjoying that, we got on the boat for the last time, enjoyed some water & punch, purchased our stingray photos and headed back to shore. Best $40 I've ever spent. On our way back we stopped at the 7-mile beach (very popular & beautiful beach in GC) and had a bite to eat, returned to port for some final shopping (beautiful stores, but very expensive) and then returned to the ship. It was our final formal dinner...again, amazing food. I always wished my stomach was bigger so I could just try it all.

Saturday: Our last full day on the ship and final day at sea. We slept until 9:30, enjoyed breakfast in the dining room and then spent the entire day by the pool soaking up every last bit of sun before returning to the cold. The only break we took was to soak in the jacuzzi in the spa, and then we were right back out on the deck. We had our final dinner - so bittersweet. Every night around dessert time the waiters do some kind of song & dance and we would get up from our table and party with them. By the end of the week you are really attached to your servers - joking around with them, giving high-5's, embarrassing them (well, Nathan & Bryce were hilarious...that's all I'll say!) and getting to know who they are and where they are from. We took pictures with them and gave them a "group hug" (Yves is tiny and said - I need a chair to stand on!) before saying goodbye. We went to the final show - a "talent" show of people from the ship dressed up as different musicians singing their songs (some of it was terrible - which made it really funny!). We went to the final and most elaborate midnight buffet. Such beautiful food! It truly is an incredible art form.

Sunday: We packed up and were off the ship by 9am and on the road. It was a wonderful, beautiful, fun & relaxing time with my family. I loved every minute of it and can't wait to do it again! We're already talking about the Mediterranean in 2009 (Lisa & I have been planning it since college). There's always something exciting to look forward to!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Okay, so the stingrays look totally scary!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...